Just over a month ago, I switched comments off for this blog. I wanted to post a very brief follow-up on that decision.
In a nutshell, it was definitely the right move. For the first few days I did miss the validation of getting a flurry of comments on each new article, but I quickly realised that I was enjoying the peace and quiet. The other benefits are manifest:
- I receive far more thoughtful, considered email responses (and more article-related email in general).
- I’ve seen many more responses published on others’ blogs, which is good for everyone.
- I’ve had zero reduction in traffic; actually, it’s up a good bit.
- My site loads faster, not having to wait for the comments list and form.
- I don’t have to moderate anything, or see notification emails.
- I feel more willing to publish short pieces, and to write more frequently.
- I feel more positive, and I think the tone of my writing has evolved.
I’m definitely not going back. If you have a blog, I’d advise you to consider switching comments off too.